Friday 11 March 2016

Stop Sign

I knew I was having a good run of it (no pun intended ha!) , I knew I was lucky and it wouldn't last forever. It happened. I went out for a club pack run about three weeks ago and it felt quite uncomfortable. I soldiered on, with encouragement from the other runners and my partner Alan who'd decided to make a rare appearance at a club run. I was thankful he was there, as after about 40 minutes I'd had enough, and we broke off from the route and headed home. The next morning - pain. Lower bump achey pain and groin-ey area pain whilst walking. I was a bit worried. I have always said, if it hurt, I would stop, and this was a sure stop sign.
I called Lynne from Global Therapies who assured me that it was strain in my ligaments/groin, lay off running for a while, and sound advice to call the GP if the pain got worse. Thanks Lynne for picking up the phone when you were on a weekend off!

Since then I've tried a couple of short jog/walks up a hill and down wearing a 'bump support' which a recent-new-mum-runner friend kindly gave me. These outings went OK and resulted in only mild versions of the same pain. I've also been way more careful with my pacing and how I hold my pelvic area, as well as stretching. I've been very busy at work again and to be honest haven't missed running. The jog/walks keep my desire to be outdoors satisfied and my strength training sessions give me a bit of the 'exercise high'.

We went on holiday too, to Morocco, and the bump expanded at a rate of knots, fuelled by tagines and mint tea. With the increasing size and weight, even walking around the medinas of Marrakech and Essaouira necessitated careful pelvic positioning to avoid a sore back. There were some quite uncomfortable days where I swear I could feel my abdominal muscles coming slowly apart. Swimming was great, it got my heart beating and my muscles clicked into familiar action, it felt good. I now need to ensure I work swims into my weekly routine. My regular swimsuit definitely does not fit (as it did a month ago) and once more I've benefitted from a hand-me-down - a maternity swim top which goes with some 'regular' swim shorts nicely.

I'd like to stick with the easy paced run/walks though I need to think carefully about routes, I haven't got any in my repertoire short enough but will figure something out. I am going to head to parkrun tomorrow and have a stern word with myself about keeping very slow pace, and walking all the uphills. Glossop parkrun is a good safe bet for me, being three laps, so if I feel sore after two I can stop. I like the convivial atmosphere and it'll make me feel as though I'm 'still a runner' though in reality that has now changed - I am getting used to the idea that for the coming four months or so, I'm in a new category of athletes club called 'pregnant and post-birth'. One thing which definitely keeps me going is the constant changes to my body, and the new things I am learning about what it and the baby are doing as time continues on towards 'the big event', and how I can help increase the chances of that event running more smoothly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment