Wednesday 27 April 2016

Ticking a big box - supporting Jasmin's amazing Bob Graham Round

After completing my Bob Graham Round last summer, I was looking forward to offering support to those attempting one in 2016. Then I found I was pregnant and realised that this would be quite limited! I mentioned to a couple of friends who I knew would probably make an attempt, that I may be able to provide road support, baby in tow, if they were going later in the summer. My driving license and car, gained in January for adventuring purposes, would come in handy for that.

I heard via the Glossopdale grapevine that Jasmin Paris would be making a fast attempt one weekend in April. Jasmin hails from this area and is a good friend of the club. I'd met her and Konrad at races, social events and club away weekends , and we discovered we both loved openwater swimming and cake (and fellrunning of course!). I emailed her to offer road support, understanding that she may already have a full compliment, being such a well respected and liked runner. She explained her Mum would cover every road crossing, though I could come in handy to help ferry support runners to and from the start of the legs. I signed up immediately. I was dead chuffed to be able to get in a support of a BGR before the baby arrived! It also offered an opportunity for Alan and I to spend a weekend in the Lakes, like a mini break as a couple. Alan was also keen to get some photos, he loves getting landscapes and fellrunners.

We got the green light on Thursday 22nd, the weather was looking favourable. I was assigned a list of people to collect from Steve Birkinshaw's farmhouse, and deliver to Dunmail Raise on Saturday morning . Some names there I recognised as high achievers in the world of tough, long challenges; Jim Mann, Jon Gay, and some championship botherers like Rhys and Ben. Her support runners list made impressive reading, I knew that every one on the list would have gladly accepted the job, excited about helping Jasmin achieve what could be a new record time for the round, for a female.  I was proud to see some fast runners from my club amongst the legends - Julien, Andy O and Tim B.

Jasmin and Leg 1 supporters Spyke, Konrad and Wardy preparing for the off 

Saturday morning 0330, Alan and I threw on warm clothes and walked five minutes from our B and B to the centre of Keswick. The Moot Hall was being used as a pissoir by a gent on his way home from his revels. No-one to be seen, so we walked laps to keep warm and Alan figured that he couldn't get a shot of the Moot Hall, Jasmin and the impressive full Moon. We heard voices from the ginnel beside the pub, sure enough it was Jasmin, Konrad, Spyke and Wardy ready for the off, accompanied by Jasmin's Mum  Alena, Iain W and his dog Jess, and Tim and Lynne from Global Therapies, on cheerleading duties as we were. Not long passed and they were counting down, then off.

The previous night I'd started a conversation on email with the Leg 3 support runners, saying that we ought to plan to leave earlier than Jasmin's roughly 17-hour schedule dictated. I planned to arrive at the base at 0800 and leave for Dunmail at 0845, given that the journey time was about be an hour and a quarter this would ensure we were there 40 minutes or so before she would arrive. When I got up at 0700 on Saturday, a text from Lynne arrived saying she was already 30 minutes up on schedule and I'd be best to get to base ASAP. I was thankful we'd already agreed an early departure. I managed to miss the lane down to the farmhouse and get a wheel stuck in some mud - Lynne and Tim rescued the little Yaris and about fifteen minutes later we were on the way. I was quite apprehensive about the route from the Kirkstone Pass down to Ambleside where Ben Abdelnoor would be waiting to be picked up, and once I noticed the passengers checking their watches nervously I offered the driving seat to Iain who knows the roads well and also used to drive a Yaris. I had been driving cautiously due to my inexperience on Lakes roads, and I didn't want to risk us being late. Thanks for piloting us down the Struggle Iain!
Fast men looking quite scared at what lay ahead :) 

The first runner to appear on the horizon was a man in black- we all stood wondering whether it was one of Jasmin's crew. It was Neil Talbott.  He was pretty knackered out, having met her at Blencathra summit and carried on from there.

a broken Neil T and a perky Jess the dog 

He passed on her order for soup and Coke, which Alena set about preparing whilst the Leg 3 team picked up food bags from her car. It was a beautiful sunny morning, we could all imagine what a pleasure it would be to run the relatively easy leg across the Dodds and Helvellyn. They appeared on the descent, I checked Alena didn't need any assistance and went to the fence to hear cheerful chatter coming from Jasmin and Shane , as if they were out on a Sunday morning social run. Jasmin picked up her cups and a few words with her Mum then strode straight up Steel Fell. Supporters swapped bags and followed. Jess the dog led the group up and they were gone. 'was that 45 or 55 minutes up on schedule?' Two friends from Glossop arrived and we retreated to the warmth of their camper van for brews and a quick debrief . Alex remarked that the pace was such a clip, he'd not had a chance to take a sip of drink! All of them had thoroughly enjoyed their run in such glorious conditions. Shane hadn't been out for a long run for some time but was full of the joys of spring. It was lovely to hear them all so positive and so impressed with Jasmin's progress.
Alena's delicious roadside pastry stop at Dunmail
A less panicky drive back to Steve's and then I had a lunch break with Alan, Lynne and Tim in Keswick. We all knew we had to be at Honister for the Leg 4/5 changeover as early as possible. I had to bring 3 support runners and some bags, Lynne had Tim in the van. The car crawled up to Honister fully laden, making it there for about 16.20 giving us time to have tea and snacks whilst we waited - we guessed she would be there by perhaps 1700 or 1730. All the Leg 5 runners were hell bent on eating as much as possible, knowing that with the end, and an immense new record time in sight, Jasmin's pace would leave no time for refuelling! Alena was again in attendance with her tray of delicious pastries. The sky was darkening a little and the wind was fresh, we thought perhaps the conditions on the tops might have slowed the pace a little. I walked up the hill to Dalehead with Jo Z to keep us both warm and had the comical experience of trying to give downhill running tips to a Commonwealth Games athlete, whilst 8 months pregnant. She had been called up to provide pacing on the road section if needed, though is no stranger to off-road running.

Alan had gone up the fell to get photos of the group descending. They appeared at about 17.20


The changeover was made  - Movie here on Youtube -   (sorry the movie was deemed too big by Blogger!) and yet again Jasmin powered straight through via her Mum. I heard someone say 'yes she is tiring' and I did wonder whether her descending style had appeared a little less fluid than normal, but hey, she's human and had been through the toughest part of her challenge. Her smile was no less wide on hitting the road. The record was well and truly in the bag.

I collected the assorted down jackets, jeans, bags and a rusty old screwdriver Andy O had found hidden in his backpack, and headed back down the pass to Keswick once more. I needed a lie down and some chocolate but time for this was short, we needed to be back at the Moot Hall for 1900, we knew she was over 1hr30 ahead of her schedule and there was every chance she'd make more time. Alan jogged ahead so he could find a good spot for photos. I called Lynne to see where she was and found her a little confused/worried as the Market Square was filled with people! She quickly ascertained that they were assembling for a fundraising walk, but their presence there would both impede Jasmin's return and probably confuse her too! The organiser of the event was as excited as anyone to hear that a record was about to be broken, and made certain that his team knew that a path would need to be cleared. We had no information as to Jasmin's position on the road. A group of about six or eight of us were nervously stood near the Hall and Alan was further along the Market Square. We found Jon Gay who gave us her timing at Newlands and we surmised she was 10 or 15 minutes away. Lynne had got a prime spot up on the steps of the hall, good work Lynne, she had a GoPro and she had a clear view for the arrival. The event organiser made an announcement to his group and they obediently parted like a red sea of bobble hats and waterproof jackets. Some nervy minutes ticked by.. .Alan shouted 'I can see them!' A huge cheer went up from the walkers as Jasmin strode across the market square. I was grinning from ear to ear. There were so many people around, it was hard to see what would happen next. I hung back and after a little while we realised it'd be best to get into a warm pub. The Kings Arms had just enough room for the important people to sit down.

There followed a companionable evening and a growing realisation that history had been made, by a very humble lady who has a lovely supportive Mum and fiancee, and many many friends and admirers. The reaction in fellrunning social media circles took even dyed in the wool Twits like myself by surprise.

Alan's photos really give a flavour of the day I've described. 

Global Therapies blog also about supporting

Jasmin recounts her day on the Inov8 site
http://www.inov-8.com/blog/jasmin-paris-bob-graham-round-record/

I'm so very pleased that I could lend some help to a momentous day , at a time where I thought I'd be no use to anyone in BGR circles. Once baby has made its arrival then I'd be happy to road support again later this year.  The sooner our kid feels at home in the Lakes, the better!





No comments:

Post a Comment