Tuesday 13 December 2016

Advent Blog 10th December: Andy Ford

Sticking with the theme of fellrunning again for another late posting. I wouldn't have done a Bob Graham Round if it hadn't been for Andy.  I first met him at the Long Duddon race, I think actually  on the way up the terribly named 'Little Stand ' climb. He knew some of my other running friends and we chattered away during and after the race. I continued to see him at races and I learned he was preparing for a BGR.
In spring 2015 we met at the start of the Teenager With Altitude race.  He was well into his BG prep and looking for an easy day out, so I suggested he pootle round with me. I had come to the race a bit unprepared,  I'd been offered someone's spare number.  I also wanted to take advantage of Andy's route knowledge ;) We had a really enjoyable day out and despite a lot of complaining and cursing, i surprised myself by getting round the tough course without major incident.
Andy completed his Bob Graham Round on 9th May 2015.
We chatted on messenger  and at some point he started suggesting I should do my own Round.  I say suggesting, it was more like heavy persuading and cajoling. I'd had it in mind since the beginning of the year but had sort of decided to wait. After Andy's encouragement, I thought seriously again, given that I was uninjured and as fit as I could hope to be. He gave me confidence in my abilities and helped me to think about the logistics of the day. He was a constant source of encouragement whenever I expressed worries. On the day , Andy supported me on legs 3 and 4, which was where I knew I would need the most help. He didn't disappoint - keeping my spirits up when I knew I was behind my schedule and always looking out for me. He was so committed , he ran the final leg with me too.
Here's to you Andy; Bob Graham enthusiast, excellent supporter and a fine athlete. I'm looking forward to hearing what you get up to next. 

No comments:

Post a Comment