Friday 2 December 2016

Advent Blog 3rd December: Judy Howells aka @fellrunninbrief

On becoming a fellrunner,  I stumbled upon a twitter feed describing race results and sharing witty tales of the personalities of the sport (and its sister sports, drinking and silliness). @fellrunninbrief became a regular read. It encouraged me to take part in races, it introduced me to some of the leading runners and clubs that I'd later befriend and become familiar with.
Imagine my glee when I discovered the author was a lady. like many sports, female participation in fellrunning is low, about 15 to 20 percent in most races by my reckoning so I was heartened to find its roving reporter and raconteur was Judy, and a bit excited to meet her at my club's race, Herod Farm. Like most fellrunners
she is a throughly decent and friendly person, and loves a bit of a muck about (a hilarious almost-fail vault over a gate if I recall rightly)
She's the one captured mid vault! :) 

She provides this real-time news service for fellrunning for no gain, she's not in it for freebies or to promote anything other than the sport she loves.  people like Judy keep the grassroots participation going and for that I'm very thankful.  

No comments:

Post a Comment