Monday 5 December 2016

Advent Blog 5th December: Gerda from the Snow Queen

I loved reading Hans Christian Andersen stories as a girl. I read from what I saw as an old-fashioned edition (it didn't have many pictures) of his tales. They appealed to me because they were different from other stories I read. They were,  well, dark. they weren't happy ever after and princesses with big eyes and twinkly dresses. They were visceral tales of mishap and misfortune, and people getting what they deserved.
Gerda in the Snow Queen struck me as a proper heroine. She endured any amount of peril and discomfort in a wintry world, so that she could rescue her friend Kay from the clutches of the evil Queen. I think my protective feelings for my baby brother drew me to the story.
She carried on, and she didn't give up. she did it for someone she cared about. she could be an example to us all.

Footnote : my baby brother grew up to be an actor and appeared as Kay in a lovely production of the Snow Queen in Leeds in 2008. I think I had something in my eye whilst watching, thankfully not enchanted glass.  

No comments:

Post a Comment