Tuesday 13 December 2016

Advent Blog 11 December : James Rebanks, the Herdy Shepherd

Another character from Twitter. My favourite breed of sheep has always been the Herdwick, which is what first made me follow him @herdyshepherd1. I loved tweets about the working days, months and year of a shepherd in the Lakes, reading them usually on the train or at the start or end of another day on the hamster wheel of office life. He also spoke eloquently about the need for greater understanding of the contribution people like himself make to the landscape, history, economy and culture of the Lake District.
Follow him on Twitter if you want to learn fascinating details about sheep farming, see some lovely pictures and be charmed by his simple, self deprecating yet proud writing. If you , like me, are hooked, buy his book and learn the life story of the man behind the @.
He has made me stop and think more deeply about the landscape which is often my playground, and given me a greater understanding of the livelihoods and struggles which shape it.




No comments:

Post a Comment