Wednesday 7 December 2016

Advent Blog 7 December: Aleks Kashefi

I shivered a little before getting into bed, and then thought of Aleks. He's been sleeping outdoors in the European winter, for the majority of the time during the past few months, so I should count myself lucky.
Aleks is running the length of Europe. I shan't try to explain why, have a read of his blog if you are interested. If you are impressed, donate to his cause, or help in whatever way you can.

I spied a chap in a big woolly hat and no shoes at a fell race a while back, and stared a bit, and then stopped staring. I mean, why not? It wasn't that bad a hat. I followed his journey later that year , from Lands End to John o Groats ,via social media and his blog and realised I liked his style. I liked his honesty and his direct way of writing. Earlier this year, he mentioned he'd like to run hills near Glossop so I arranged to meet him. Along with a few club mates I enjoyed a few hours in his company running over familiar paths on Bleaklow. He's energetic, gregarious,  humble and all too human. I confirmed that I definitely like his style, and his amazing downhill running technique in sandals.

This blog post of his is one of my favourites, written as he finished his job as a teacher and prepared to set out on his greatest adventure yet. His will to inspire young minds is laudable.

Hope that you're reading this Aleks, may the wind be always at your back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment