Tuesday 6 December 2016

Advent Blog 6th December: Dr Ben Goldacre

Another Guardian newspaper inspired post today. That publication has a lot to answer for.
Dr Ben Goldacre's Bad Science column was the last vestige of my scientific past to linger on into my cultural life as a twentysomething. I have a degree in Biochemistry, not that you'd believe it.
However, Dr Goldacre's writing has had an effect in me reaching much further than science. His book also titled 'Bad Science'  is a cracking, witty and thought-provoking read. His message and campaign for evidence based decision making stands as a lesson on how we should all think.
What I take from his approach is: Challenge what is put in front of you, don't be a sheep. Ask questions, find proof and you will end up better placed to argue, to believe, or to trust what you see, hear and read. In this day of fake news and social media, it's as important as ever to question and to be a critical thinker.

Footnote: His column once mentioned some research my Dad had commissioned for Boots, to investigate the No7 'Protect and Perfect' product which he was working on at the time. I was immeasurably proud. He didn't rip Dad and his team's work to shreds either.

No comments:

Post a Comment