Friday 9 December 2016

Advent Blog 9th December: Matt Dawson

Matt is the reason I am a fellrunner. I met him when I lived in South Manchester, through his partner Lou who I knew through the WI. He invited me to come on a training run with him. When I met him to start our run on the roads round Glossop, he'd already been out for two or three hours on the hills; I was gobsmacked that he had such stamina. After a couple of runs on roads and trails together, he encouraged me to try a fell run. He went out of his way to arrange to meet me from the station at Edale, and off we went. I was hooked after this one run. Not just because I enjoyed the feeling of being out in the hills and moors I loved to hike in, but because I felt supported and encouraged by him. It was after this that I decided to begin running regularly on the fells with Glossopdale Harriers, with whom I now train and compete.

I knew Matt had been further pursuing his passion for the outdoors and gaining experience as a Mountain Leader and I was pleased to see him developing a small business providing his services to the public. It was on a trip to the Highlands of Scotland further developing his skills, that he had a terrible accident which left him facing a long rehabilitation in hospital. His recovery and return to the outdoors is an inspiration in itself, but I will always think of him as a proper funny bloke from Leek, the spark who lit the flame, spurring me onto my great adventures in the hills and fells. 

No comments:

Post a Comment