Monday 19 December 2016

Advent Blog 18th December : Ollie Williams

Another person of recent years, from Twitter, who has expanded and enriched my enjoyment of sport. @OllieWilliams He also opened my eyes to the journalistic possibilities of social media.
Ollie is the man behind the sadly now defunct Frontier Sports. I used to look forward to reading the posts on that site on my morning commute.  The site covered all the Olympic sports. I didn't realise the sports I liked to hear about had such a handy classification til I started following Frontier Sports! It made a refreshing difference from the sports pages in the popular newspapers/sites, with their heavy bias toward men's football. I also liked the way it had a separate section for Doping news, which appealed to my nose for scandal but also proved how well researched and committed to covering everything warts and all they were.
Ollie moved onwards and upwards, and now resides in Yellowknife in Canada, still works as a sports reporter and a media services provider. I always give him a little virtual fist bump when I see him working for the BBC :)

No comments:

Post a Comment